The Managing Electronic Health Records Certificate program provides students with the knowledge and skills to function in most healthcare settings, from both large hospital-based systems to small local practices. Students in this program will gain an understanding of the duties and responsibilities in the medical administrative office. This includes the proper use of communication techniques, appointment scheduling, financial administration, care of facilities and medical equipment as well the importance of maintaining patient confidentiality and privacy. Students will also focus on the common practices and procedures performed by medical office professionals using Electronic Health Records such as setting up an Electronic Health Record (EHR) system, inputting and modifying patient information, uploading external documents, and creating and printing reports. To complement these skills and practices, students will also gain a general understanding of the medical billing cycle and how to successfully utilize the medical insurance claim process along with major code sets used in the healthcare industry. The overall program goal is to provide students with the entry-level skills needed to perform front office administrative duties in a healthcare facility.
Is a Career as a Medical Office Professional Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Medical Office Professional Career Training Readiness score now!
Upon completion of this program, students are expected to able to:
- Answer phones, schedule appointments, and take messages
- Review records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained
- Compile and maintain patient’s electronic medical records
- Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, medical history, lab reports, prescriptions, and treatment into electronic health record
- Obtain, update, and ensure the accuracy of patient health insurance information
Purpose & Use of Health Records
Health Records in the Physician’s Office and Hospitals
Demographics & Clinical Health Information
Quality Assurance of Health Information
Utilization of Word, Excel, and Outlook
Navigating Windows and Mac Operating Systems
Benefits of Social Media in a Business Context