A typical healthcare environment, whether it be a clinic, a doctor’s office, or hospital, will employ individuals to perform administrative duties, including greeting and checking in patients, scheduling, answering phones, and managing patient records. In the Healthcare Administrative Specialist Certificate Program students develop skills in office applications and procedures related to the healthcare environment, learn medical terminology, and develop skills related to the billing and coding process.
In order to be an effective healthcare administrator, students need to possess empathy and excellent customer service and communication skills. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are also very important in this occupation.
Upon completion of this certificate program, students are expected to able to:
- Answer phones, schedule appointments, and take messages
- Compile and maintain patient’s electronic medical records, and ensure completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations
- Identify the meaning of medical terms
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained
- List and describe the steps in the medical billing cycle
- Use business software applications to create and manage documents, spreadsheets, and email communications
Healthcare Administrative Specialist Certificate Program – Topics Include
Medical Terms and Definitions
Medical billing cycle
Insurance claim processing
Input and management of patient information in Electronic Health Records (EHR)
Written and email correspondence
Use of social media